If you are a foreigner and want to buy a living space or property in Switzerland, you may need a permit. A distinction must be made between foreigners residing in Switzerland and foreigners not residing in Switzerland.

Residence in Switzerland

EU/EFTA citizens residing in Switzerland have the same rights as Swiss citizens when purchasing real estate and therefore do not require a permit. Third-country nationals (non-EU/EFTA countries) with legal and actual residence in Switzerland may purchase property for their own residential purposes. A valid residence permit is required (usually a foreigner's permit B). If construction is to take place on the property, it must begin within a year. However, foreigners residing in Switzerland also require a permit to purchase holiday homes (second homes).

Legal entities domiciled in Switzerland may acquire real estate provided there is no foreign control. Such is the case when people abroad own more than a third of the capital or have granted significant loans.

Not resident in Switzerland

The canton of Zug does not have any quotas for holiday apartments, which is why it is not possible for people abroad to purchase them in the canton of Zug. Legal entities domiciled abroad can only acquire permanent establishments.

determination of residence

A B or C residence permit is not sufficient to determine residence. Residence is where the person is staying with the intention of permanent residence. The decisive factor is where the focus of a person's personal relationships is, where they spend their free time regularly, where they maintain family and friendly relationships and where they participate in social life. Indications for this are, for example, the employment relationship, regular tax liability, regular participation in a club, transport subscriptions or the joint household with a spouse or partner.

Procedure for acquiring property

If you as a foreigner want to buy a house, an apartment or a plot of land, you have to clarify with the responsible authority whether all the necessary requirements have been met or whether a permit needs to be obtained. Our experts will be happy to support you.